Big Mutha Truckers 2: Truck Me Harder is an arcade trucking
game developed by Eutechnyx as a sequel to the first game. Now, I didn't
play the original, so I can't exactly compare the games, notice its
evolution or lack there of, and also I played this game as a child,
which might have influenced me in thinking it is not that bad, but oh
well.
If I really think about it, it is kind of interesting how
this game manages to walk the line in-between being actually trashy, and
a proper satire. I would not find it surprising if many people just
brushed this off as shovelware, but I think those arcade roots make it a
little bit more than that. A little bit.
Alright, so, how is the
game? It is an arcade trucking game with an open world, where you
deliver cargo and do some extra missions, of course, with a few gimmicks
sprinkled in. The driving itself is not...bad, but it is not great
either. I like the ability to control the movement of the trailer
somewhat, but the fact is the driving is somewhat lackluster. Collisions
and jumps can really mess you up sometimes, and this is not something
you should excuse as realism in an arcade like this. It's not great. A
single crash into a small car can make you lose control, turning at slow
speed is just weird, and your truck sometimes just phases through
destructible objects. And lastly, while the missions add a bit more
variety, the driving controls on those vehicles are either very basic,
and in the case of your truck without a trailer, it both oversteers and
understeers depending on speed, and feels both too light and too heavy.
So the driving is rather weak, all in all.
The graphics and the
map of the game though are, I think, not so bad for the time, actually.
The map is detailed and varied enough and includes a bunch of shortcuts.
The biggest issue was its size, though. A delivery from one corner of
the map to the other one takes about a minute and a half of gameplay.
That felt a bit too short sometimes.
The gameplay loop itself,
however, I somewhat enjoyed. It is a very quick one though. You buy
cargo, check prices, drive to most profitable destination, sell, maybe
do a mission or gamble if you want to. Although, the amounts of money
you can get from gambling are chump-change compared to what you will
need. It can get repetitive and grindy at times, but they did try to
spice it up. I wonder if the grindiness could have been the point... the
mundaness of driving a truck, of trucking away mile to mile to earn
your pay, but... I'm probably thinking too much about it. Anyway, there
are some nice gimmicks that make it a bit more engaging, like the
bikers, UFOs, hobos, police, the vehicles you can destroy for extra
boost or other bonuses and such. They force you to adapt your driving a
bit, which is nice. However, one of the two things that made the game
enjoyable is that, while repetitive, it wasn’t exactly easy to the point
of becoming brainless. If you want to make the most money as quickly as
possible, you'll choose the hardest difficulty, meaning little time,
and this forces you to pay attention to the road and traffic, to the
obstacles, to the gimmicks, look out for shortcuts, sometimes even
having to choose an alternative route, away from the recommended one,
otherwise you won't get your bonus. That optimization mindset, where you
piece it all together kept me satisfied enough.
Finally, I want
to touch upon the humor and style of the game. I mentioned earlier that
the game walks between being trashy and a humorous satire. Well, in some
ways, considering it was made in the early 2000s, I find it hard to say
whether a few of these stereotypes were made more genuinely or as a
satire. However, the vast majority of the game is obviously taking a
piss. I think you'll struggle to find a single person in the game who
couldn't be classified as some sort of stereotype. You'll meet all kinds
of people from hillbillies, rednecks, world-weary sassy diner
waitresses, Wall Street brokers, and gay sailors to Russian oligarchs
and hippie vegan "neo-feminists". The humor is low-brow, but I don't
think that comes off as a surprise to anyone who bothered to even read
the title of the game. The other thing that kept me engaged was the
radios. They opted out for the style of actual radios with talk hosts,
guests and advertisements, and not just a playlist of music. I
especially liked the talk radio, and it is one of the better attempts to
emulate the likes of GTA's radios. Maybe the humor isn't for everyone,
but I found it somewhat charming and campy enough to enjoy it. This
line, to be honest, applies to the whole game I feel, albeit with
effects of some nostalgia attached.
Just a place where I might add anything, mostly reviews, once in a blue moon.
Tuesday, July 7, 2026
Big Mutha Truckers 2
Originally published on my HLTB profile.
Originally written and published on December 12th, 2025.
Overall rating: 55%
Playtime: 7h 56m
Played on PC.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment