Tuesday, July 7, 2026

Gran Turismo

Originally published on my HLTB profile.
Originally written and published on November 4th, 2023.

 

I have to say, I was pretty surprised with how this game turned out to be. I was not expecting to be this satisfied with it. (I did play on an emulator with a 60FPS patch, however.)

The car selection is big (for the time) and features not only sports cars but primarily focuses on normal road cars. Throughout the game, it was quite satisfying to get credits, upgrade your cars and receive new ones as a reward for the championships. This worked well within the progression which was also nice — albeit the endgame with the endurance races feels a bit too dull.

The graphics were also something I enjoyed, but I get that this is more of a personal preference. It definitely gives the game more of an identity, looking at it from a modern standpoint. It feels like they really got the most out of what they had to work with regarding the hardware of the PS1.

Now, for the most important part, the driving physics. They are still pretty good for most of the time. They can freak out a bit after you drive over a curb quickly which can send you flying into a corner if you're not careful, but other than that, they aged pretty well. I don't have anything to complain about here that much.

As for the negatives, some of the licence tests were ridiculously hard to get gold in. (It doesn't have to be easy, but it just felt like a bit too much.) Next, the track list is solid, but it would be nice to have just a little bit more. The tracks can get repetitive later on and this is made worse by the fact that if you, especially in the early game, don't spend your money wisely, you might need to grind for some time.

It isn't for everybody, but I do think that if you are a fan of racing games and can appreciate older ones, give the original Gran Turismo a try. 

 

Overall rating: 80%
Playtime: 26h 9m
Played on PC, Emulated on Duckstation.

No comments:

Post a Comment